From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:59:39 -0800
I can't believe I'm weighing in on this one, but here
goes.

Two months ago, after much kicking and screaming about
how incredibly obscene cell phones can be, and
sometimes how dangerous they are (yes, in the middle
of a good fit of California Road Rage, I've yelled at
the driver in front of me from the sanctity and
protection of my own car, heard only by me, "Hang up
and drive!), I finally acquiesced and bought one.

I didn't think I would put it to much use, but I have
since begun to understand just how valuable they can
be.  I have also learned/anticipated how potentially
expensive they can be, so I purchased a limited plan,
and compel myself to stay within budget each month.
So far, it's working.  I don't give the number out,
though two family members have gotten it, and the one
who did call me on it received holy hell from me with
a big thou shalt not.  Page me if you want to get a
hold of you, and I'll call you as soon as it's safe
and convenient to do so, but don't run up my bill or
risk my life.

As for cell phones in restaurants, I find them no more
perturbing than a lot of other dialogue that goes on.
Working two jobs (by choice, not necessity) and going
to school, I don't cook.  I eat two meals a day
(skipping the night meal), and everything I eat is
cooked by someone else.  When I go out to sit down to
eat (often), I read, and it is my one hour of the day
that belongs exclusively to me.

Eating alone and hearing what goes on around me, I
find cell phones no more obtrusive than a lot of the
other dialogue that goes on around me.  I recognize a
restaurant is not a library, but people are often
unnecessarily loud and fail to recognize they're not
the only ones in the restaurant.

Those on cell phones are no more loud than the others.
 It seems, on the one hand, tacky, to be so tied to
the umbilical of instant communications that the
phones, pagers, and such can't be turned off for a
while--so de classe--but on the other hand, perhaps
these devices are letting people who live like you and
I do in the too-fast world to be able to balance their
other life needs and still afford themselves the
luxury of visiting the galleries.

Calling one's bookie would seem quite inappropriate.
But calling one's aged, less mobile parent to share
the sheer joy, beauty, and amazement of an exhibition
well put together should be encouraged.  It may be a
way of getting the word out.

Hypothetically, Visitor A goes into the exhibit and is
so enthused that (s)he immediately calls Visitors B,
C, and D to come see the exhibit before it closes.  It
could be an actual draw for the Museum and not a bane.

As for the lectures or tours, yes, people should turn
such devices off while people are actually talking.
That would be like you and I standing there talking to
one another, and I whip out the cell and start talking
to somebody else, ignoring you.

Coughing fits.  I work for the LA Philharmonic
part-time.  The Symphony abates these by having throat
lozenges in baskets outside the concert hall, and
patrons are expected to take one or two and have them
handy in case they do start to hack and wheeze.  I'd
never seen that before, and I haven't seen it sense,
but it does make sense if quiet is expected of frail
human beings.

--- Michael Cahall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>         The folks who wonder what the problem with
> cellphones in public places
> evidently have never had a meal in a very nice
> restaurant disturbed by the
> lout at the next table loudly tries to get hockey
> tickets for a game that
> night.  I have.  I have also been at movies,
> concerts, and other public
> events when cellphones ring, and people take the
> call!  There are reasons
> why restaurants, concert halls, and other public
> facilities post signs
> asking patrons to turn off their cellphones when
> entering.
>
>         How would you deal with someone going
> through your museum who has a
> "personal listening device" turned up loud enough
> for others to hear?  How
> would you deal with people on a group tour who are
> carrying on a
> conversation about something unrelated to the tour
> material?  Why is a
> cellphone any different?

=====
Indigo Nights