From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:39:02 EST
I too remember the King Tut exhibit in the 1970s.

My most unforgettable exhibit, however,  was that of a newly discovered Da
Vinci painting in 1965.   The painting had been painted over by someone else,
and during a restoration, it was discovered that there was this special,
older painting underneath.
The Da Vinci was restored and put on exhibit at the National Gallery in
Washington, D.C.

I was in fifth grade, 10 years old, and on the annual visit to Washington
with the safety patrols from my elementary school.   My mother wrote a note
to the teacher who accompanied us that I was to be allowed to go to the
National Gallery as it was very important to me.   She also gave me extra
money for my day at the museum.
While the other patrols were visiting national places,  I took a cab, all by
myself, from our hotel and went to the National Gallery for the day.   I
stood in line for a long time in order to see the Da Vinci.  It was
wonderful, especially for a girl from a small, Southern town on a big
adventure!

pamela sezgin
Georgia Mountains History Museum