From:
Cindy Cable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:35:10 -0600
Funny you should ask this question.  We currently have an exhibit up, "Preserving the Past, Planning for the Future."  In a nutshell, the exhibit explains what the museum was like in 1903 when it was founded, important temporary exhibits over the years, and the plans for a new
museum to be built.  However, the main "attraction" to the exhibit is our fake mummy.  For years, the mummy was on exhibit and in the 1960s a local med student decided to do some research on our prized mummy.  Well to the horror of the community, the mummy turned out to be fake.  We
have x-rays of the nails and wood used to hold the mummy together and pieces of the newspaper used for the paper mache.  In the 1970s when the mission was changed to include only objects relating to Mississippi, the mummy was taken off of exhibit.  There was a huge uproar from the
community over the "mummy" going into storage.  This is the first time in years the mummy has been out on exhibit, and people still love that "dummy mummy"--as it is called here in Jackson.
--
Cindy Cable, Registrar
Old Capitol Museum