Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:42:41 EST
Greetings Everyone!

I'm a grad student of Museum Studies and Art History.  I'm looking for
input from individuals who are "in the know" about internships inside the
beltway.  Specifically...  Which DC art museum (or possibly historic house
museum) has the best program?  What are the chances of landing a curatorial
internship (as opposed to collections or education)  in this competitive
arena with only an MA?

And here's another one...
Many museum positions (intern or otherwise) require a "reading knowledge"
of a foreign language.  You Art History-types know what I'm talking about
here.  How critical is this point?  Since they rarely require a SPECIFIC
language, but at least one of the usual French, German or Italian, I'm
wondering if the skill is ACTUALLY used?  Perhaps it's just become one of
those conventions of the career posting?

As a Master's Candidate I was required to take 4 semesters of a foreign
language.  This was some time ago, so to say my skills have waned a bit is
an understatement.  May I still claim a "reading knowledge"?  Do I need a
refresher with Berlitz?  What has been your experience?

Some straight talk on this subject is sorely needed!

THANKS YOU SO MUCH!

Please reply here OR off list.
All personal responses will remain confidential.