From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:57:36 -0500
Our acquisitions committee consists of the Registrar, Director of
Collections and all the Collections Managers (there are only 5 of us), and
usually an historian. We each propose collections or artifacts and
acceptance is based on the recommendation of the appropriate Collections
Manager. We meet monthly. For all accepted collections or artifacts an
official Acquisition Submission must be completed stating the contents of
the collection, its significance and relevence to our institution, upon
completion they are accepted by vote (a formality) at the monthly meeting.
All the paperwork and the artifacts have to go through our Registrar first
before being sent to the appropriate collections.

The C.E.O and Director can of course override any decision or accept
donations without the committee.

The museum employs about 31 permanent staff, contracts another 10-20
persons, and has a volunteer base of 90 persons. Together we care for the
National Military History collection of half a million artifacts. At the
moment we are in two buildings. The museum building opened in 1909 as the
Dominion Archives, we moved in to it in 1967, when the Archives moved out
and currently we display about 1% of the collection. The warehouse facility
is a converted streetcar barn built in 1924, we've been in it since 1980.
Plans are now afoot to build a single facility, 20 acres of land had been
provided and a few weeks ago the Canadian Government announced funding for
it over the next 5 years.

Carol Reid
Head, Archives
Canadian War Museum