From:
Dennis Kois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:35:45 -0500
From your description it sounds like your label mounting problems are two-fold.

Some of the problems (surface of Epson paper or laminate peeling off) are
clearly due to the paper/laminate de-laminating, in all likelyhood because
of the different ways the "glossy" surface film/laminate and the substrate
paper absorb humidity. There is no solution for this other than to switch
paper, or not laminate- for example, to produce labels that match a wall
color we use matching colored paper (pantone or art paper) and run it
through a laser printer to produce the label. (note: we do not generally
produce reversed labels (ie white text on color background) because of the
difficulty the visually impaired have with reversed text. In the rare
occasions we do, we output the color labels from a color laser copier that
also serves as our office color printer).

The other problems you describe are obviously problems with the adhesives
you are using- 3M Photomount or Remount are not designed for long-term,
heavy use adhesion. Not to mention that spray adhesives are HIGHLY toxic-
hope you are using masks.

We use two different adhesives depending on need. For really heavy-duty,
"never come off" adhesion we use 3M Transfer Adhesive. This comes in 6",
12", 18" and 24" rolls which you apply, trim excess off edges, and smooth
down with an applicator (plastic spatula-like device) to ensure good
adhesion, and then peel the backing off and press to apply. This is like
the "crazy glue" of paper adhesives- never lets go, but also unforgiving if
you mis-align what you are applying- once it sticks, its stuck for good. No
second chances. The downside to this is price- a 50 yard roll of the 6"
adhesive is $120, 12" is $230, and 18" is $340 (bulk prices). We also use
3M PMA Adhesive (Positionable Mounting Adhesive 568), which also comes in
rolls. It is much cheaper (about $75 for a 50 yard 24" roll), and is good
for mounting labels that will remain inside a case or where they won't be
abused. It is similar to the other stuff, but is repositionable like a
Post-It note until pressure is applied. You apply it to the paper, apply
the paper to whatever substrate you are using, then roll the whole thing
through a PMA Applicator, which looks like an old-fashioned clothes washer-
two hand-cranked rollers. Once it is compressed by the rollers, it is
fairly permanent. It does not, however, do well with substrates that bend
(with humidity, etc, like mat board)- it will let go and wrinkle where the
curve occurs.

Sorry this is so long- hope that helps.

Dennis Kois
Design Department