From:
Liberty Hall Historic Site <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:01:00 -0500
Greetings,

I have never handled any arsenic treated material from the 1950's but I have
handled arsenic treated material from the 1870's to the 1910's.  While on
the curatorial staff at Sagamore Hill NHS, I assisted in the cleaning of a
number of items stuffed and mounted by Theodore Roosevelt, who apprently
really liked arsenic and used it liberally in his taxidermy.  We used latex
gloves and respirators with standard particulate and chemical filters.  We
always threw away the filters and gloves after use.  In general, arsenic is
nasty stuff and even a small amount can cause illness.  Even skin contact
may be sufficient for this purpose and so even when moving arsenic treated
items we used latex gloves.  I hope this helps.

Eric Brooks
Assistant Director/Curator
Liberty Hall Historic Site
218 Wilkinson Street