This Week In Global Museum | The #1 Museum Site For Museum News, Museum Jobs, Museum Resources & More!
Celebrating 26 Years Of Dedication & Service To The Museum Profession.

See The Latest Stories & Jobs Here www.globalmuseum.org

**  Pandora Papers Reveal Artworld Money Laundering

Douglas Latchford, whose art collections have been displayed at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art and the British Museum allegedly used the offshore accounts to conceal profits from underground art trading.

**  Mystery surrounds sudden closures of two major Shanghai museums

Long Museum West Bund and Shanghai Minsheng Art Museum both announced they would shut indefinitely for unspecified reasons.

**  The Dark Art of Displaying Deep-Sea Fish

How one museum keeps a rare Pacific footballfish looking sharp.

**  A Life Lesson for Art Museums

Leverage starts with overcoming the conceptual challenge of ceding control today over something you own outright in expectation of greater benefits down the road.

🧑🤝🧑 ARE YOU ONE OF THE 4,725?
Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network – Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum.
Become one of our first 5,000 members.  Join Today at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Antiquities dealer pleads guilty for role in sale of looted items

The operator of a Manhattan gallery known for its expertise in ancient Asian artefacts has pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy and possession of stolen property in connection with the trafficking of looted treasures from India and Southeast Asia.

**  V&A renames childhood museum as part of revamp

London’s V&A Museum of Childhood has been renamed Young V&A as part of its £13m redevelopment.

**  Secrets of distillery where 'life and liberty' risked to make whisky unravelled

Archaeologists are excavating the original Glenlivet distillery, which sits around one kilometre uphill from the current site, where George Smith turned his illegal whisky-making operation into one of the bedrocks of the global business we know today.

**  How Maori Arrival in New Zealand Was Frozen in Antarctic Ice

Ice cores drilled from the southern continent preserved a signal of the peopling of islands thousands of miles away.

Become a Facebook Follower - Join 2,602 of us who Like Global Museum on Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Strike a pose: infrared scans reveal the method in Munch’s Madonna

Preparatory sketch discovered beneath Norwegian master’s painting shows how he struggled with the original composition.

**  When Bicycles and Kitchen Stools Became Art

Duchamp’s take on art was also significant for Fluxus, a mid-century art movement that emphasized humour, rejected elitism, and valued the processes of artistic creation and related activities over the finished product.

**  Did Peter Paul Rubens Really Paint ‘Samson and Delilah’?

A.I. analysis renews doubts over the authenticity of a star painting in the London National Gallery’s collection.

**  Michelangelo's Haunting Pieta For His Own Tomb And Conservators Have Spent Years Restoring It

Michelangelo chipped away at the altarpiece from 1547 to 1555—he was in his 70s then—before growing frustrated with the material and abandoning it.

🐦 Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum
210.6K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,734 Followers worldwide and growing

**  Foo Ying’s cheongsams: from India to London

In the summer of 2020, Yua Haw generously donated four beautiful cheongsams from Foo Ying’s wardrobe to the Museum of London’s Dress & Textile Collection.

**  Trove of Artefacts, Many Recovered From Abroad, Traces 4,000 Years of Mexican History

A new exhibition marking the 200th anniversary of Mexico’s independence from Spain features 1,525 pre-Hispanic artifacts, more than half of which were reclaimed from other countries.

**  Scottish industrial museums tackle conservation skills gap

The £230,000 Powering Our People Project aims to ensure Industrial Museums Scotland’s 14 member museums have a trained and knowledgeable workforce able to care for their nationally significant collections.

**  The snail from ‘Old Zealand’

Curator Invertebrates Rodrigo Salvador tells the story of the tragedy and survival of a Dutch garden snail whose shell ended up at Te Papa.

📌 Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!
2.48K Pins, 1,893 Followers-  http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

**  Flash flooding overwhelms Ljubljana’s cultural institutions

In the worst flood in Slovenia in nearly two centuries, the capital's most important theatre and Modern art museum have been damaged.

**  Enigmatic 15th-century tapestry displayed after four-year clean

A 15th-century tapestry with a mysterious history, the oldest owned by the National Trust, is returning to display after experts spent four years cleaning and conserving it.

**  David Hockney: 'Abstraction in art has run its course'

I know there are people called art historians, but unlike the historians of science or even music, they don’t seem to be interested in art practice today; they are not interested in how art was made.

**  Nottingham Castle’s handling of alleged race assault ‘added further trauma’

A Black curator whose grandchildren suffered an alleged racist assault at Nottingham Castle has criticised the institution’s handling of the situation.

🎄 GLOBAL MUSEUM STORE’S HOLIDAY SEASON GIFTS & GEAR 🎄
Discounted Gifts & All Sorts of Gear In The Global Museum Store – http://www.zazzle.com/thedigitalconsultant
T-Shirts, Cards, Prints, Mugs & More …
You Name It, We’ve Got it, You Can Buy It…. For Yourself, Or For The Museum Shop!

**  Paolo Veneziano: Art & Devotion in 14th-Century Venice

Davide Gasparatto, Italian renaissance expert and head of the Getty Museum’s paintings department, curated a focused exhibition on Paolo Veneziano who led the premier painter’s workshop in late medieval Venice.

**  Down to Earth - Exploring Ireland's Geology

The National Museum of Ireland has just launched a fascinating new exhibition - Down to Earth - Exploring Ireland's Geology.

**  Leaving for Work

Christchurch Art Gallery

**  Unvaccinated United Flight Attendant Confident She Can Get Work On Medieval Plague Ship

I figure all I need to do is learn how to drain blood and work some animal cures and I’ll be a shoo-in for a position on a quarantined merchant ship overrun with the Black Death.

Global Museum’s Pandemic Resources Section  – https://tinyurl.com/museumpandemic
Resources & Important links