Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium, read weekly since 1998 by 8,000+ readers in more than 201 countries. http://www.globalmuseum.org

**  Museum Redundancies after one year of Covid
As of 28 April 2021, there have been 4,100 redundancies in the museum sector in the UK; this loss of jobs accounts for approximately 8% of all employment in museums across the UK.

**  Collaboration, Expertise, and Museum Education: Reflections from a COVID-era Furlough
While being furloughed was not welcome news in an already challenging year for the field of museum education, this period away from my job as an art museum educator gave me ample time to think deeply and reflectively, something that feels in short supply when carrying out my regular duties and schedule.

**  How Did This Pair Of 17th-Century Paintings End Up In The Dumpster At A Highway Rest Stop?
A 64-year-old man spotted the artworks — a 1665 self-portrait by Pietro Bellotti and a painting of a youth by the 17th-century Dutch artist Samuel van Hoogstraten — in the garbage of a rest stop in Bavaria in mid-May.

**  In the West, the Looted Bronzes Are Museum Pieces. In Nigeria, ‘They Are Our Ancestors.’
When British soldiers stole the treasured works in 1897, it left a gaping hole in an ancient culture - with a few set to return to Nigeria, can their meaning be restored, too?
Museum Redundancies after one year of Covid
As of 28 April 2021, there have been 4,100 redundancies in the museum sector in the UK; this loss of jobs accounts for approximately 8% of all employment in museums across the UK.
ARE YOU ONE OF THE 4,678?
Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network – Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum.
Become one of our first 5,000 members.  Join Today at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927
**  ‘Rosie the Riveter,’ 100, visits plane model she helped build during WWII, under restoration by Seattle museum
Helen Mary Vaudrin never thought she would see the planes she worked on in her early 20s in a museum collection one day, but six months after her 100th birthday, she got that chance.

**  The Forgotten French Scientist Who Courted Thomas Jefferson—and Got Pulled Into Scandal
France’s King Louis XVI had personally appointed Michaux to be his royal botanist, with a blank check to travel the world.

**  Linen condoms and bed curtains: tour exposes history of sex in Scotland
In a first for the National Trust for Scotland, which is more usually associated with heritage gardens, it presents a thematic history of privacy, sex work and contraception, spanning from 17th to the early 20th century and using sources drawn from across Scotland.

**  AI helps return Rembrandt’s The Night Watch to original size
Rijksmuseum reproduces Dutch master’s work in all its glory, 300 years after it was cut to fit between doors.
Become a Facebook Follower - Join 2,591 of us who Like Global Museum on Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?
**  University museums look beyond Covid crisis
University museums have been battling with falling visitor numbers, reduced income and furloughed staff, according to a new report.

**  Florence's Medici Family Used Portraits as Propaganda
The brilliance of Cosimo I de’ Medici was the way he employed culture both to create a sense of legitimacy and as a means of assuring Florence a place in a transformed political map.

**  An Indigenous reframing of the fall of the Aztec empire
On the quincentenary of the fall of the Aztec capital Tenochtitlán, Laura Osorio Sunnucks and María Mercedes Martínez Milantchi explain the importance of centring Indigenous voices when researching this part of history.

**  What’s So Difficult About The Colour Violet?
Over the past 20 years, I visited 193 museums in 42 different countries and equipped with 1,500 Munsell colour chips – the world-standard samples for colour science – I examined 139,892 works of art, searching for violet.
Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum
207.6K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,717 Followers worldwide and growing
**  Why The Pompidou Centre Is Putting Its American Branch In Jersey City
In fact, the museum agreed to the four-story warehouse space sight unseen after a French cultural attaché visited the site once to seal the deal.

**  Is It Okay To Resell An NFT Artwork If You’re The Artist?
Part of the problem with NFTs is that there is not yet any shared culture around reproductions or derivative works of short video, animations, or audio-visual works that derive their primary profit potential from NFT sales.

**  Australia’s Largest State Pours Money Into Culture
A funding bonanza of more than $1.3 billion — roughly $980 million US — will create jobs and will place New South Wales as a cultural heart of Australia, with a raft of high-profile projects in the pipeline funded, including two new museums and a blockbuster fund to bring attractions to NSW.

**  How Ancient Jungle Cities Kept Reinventing
Not only did societies such as the Classic Maya and the Khmer empire of Cambodia flourish, but pre-colonial tropical cities were actually some of the most extensive urban landscapes anywhere in the pre-industrial world – far outstripping ancient Rome, Constantinople/Istanbul and the ancient cities of China.
Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!
2.45K Pins, 1.81K Followers -  http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/
**  Reconciling With Cezanne
You don’t look at a Cézanne, some ravishing late works excepted; you study it, registering how it’s done—in the drawings, with tangles of line and, often, patches of watercolour.

**  Giant Meteorite Landed in Ukraine 650,000 Years after Dinosaur-Killing Chicxulub Event
Paleoclimatology aims to help us understand and adapt to today’s changing climate by studying how our atmosphere responded to environmental stresses in the past.

**  The final destination for well-travelled eggs
Over the course of many years, a tidy collection of bird eggs has made its way across the world, ending up in a museum collection.

**  German Police and the Nazi Regime
The choices and actions of police forces in Nazi Germany had an enormous impact on the lives of countless people during World War II; these photographs, documents, and films explore how the German police became a critical part of the Nazi regime.
GLOBAL MUSEUM STORE’S GIFTS & GEAR
Discounted Gifts & All Sorts of Gear In The Global Museum Store – http://www.zazzle.com/thedigitalconsultant
T-Shirts, Cards, Prints, Mugs & More …
You Name It, We’ve Got it, You Can Buy It…. For Yourself, Or For The Museum Shop!
**  Secrets of Stonehenge to feature at Auckland Museum
Explore where, when, why, and perhaps most intriguingly, how Stonehenge was built.

**  Conference 2021: Brave New World
We’re delighted to announce some of the sessions planned for our 2021 MA Conference, a hybrid event which will take place both online and at the ACC Liverpool.

**  AMA September Conference Event
The Call for Proposals is now open for the September Event in the Alberta Museums Association (AMA)’s 50th Anniversary Conference Series!

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Leo - You always thought that when the giant robots began to arrive they’d be your friends, but hey, live and learn.
Global Museum’s Pandemic Resources Section  – https://tinyurl.com/museumpandemic
Resources & Important links
All the latest Museum News, Views & Vacancies plus Bookshop, Museum Store, Resume Postings, Museum Studies Listing & More.
Global Museum - since 1998 www.globalmuseum.org