Am 04.09.2020 um 17:32 schrieb Robin Gabriel:
> We are currently inventorying our collection and have discovered quite
> a few items have different numbers on the item from what is listed in
> PastPerfect.

Hi Robin,

Your case is very interesting.

For my liking, you are moving too quickly to the question of how to
change that best way. In order to be able to answer you correctly,
concrete examples would have been needed: it may well be that the person
who wrote the object numbers on the objects was overworked and put a
number dial on the object. Or the loosely attached label was simply
exchanged. The most important thing for me would be to first determine
the causes of this phenomenon before acting too hastily. This can be
caused by serious system errors that you have to isolate before you
change things. And one must be clear about the different character of
object numbers.

All modern inventory programs can record several number systems for the
object: e.g. old inventory numbers, new inventory numbers and the
registration number. . However, this assumes that these numbers are all
correct, that they are entered correctly with an alert mind and without
errors. They are entered manually, but follow a generating, logically
structured system. This can already be a source of error, because some
inventory number systems are so complex that some people just think they
have understood the system.

The generation of numbers can derive from a mentally extended list
(another source of error in a stress situation) or it can be generated
by the computer (source of error almost impossible). The registration
number has a different legal character than the inventory number: it is
a document and must not be changed (which would mean overpainting or
erasing in the entry book, which is prohibited). The inventory number
may, however, be changed (different system, elimination of an error, etc.).

It may well be that the entry number is recorded on the object, not the
inventory number. That must be changed, because there must be the
inventory number on it. It is possible that there is an old inventory
number on the object and not the new one. This should not be changed as
long as the old and new numbers are recorded in the inventory program.

Another reason why there are divergences between the computer program
and the inventory number on the object can be that the object is not the
object that is named in the inventory program. That means: Changing
something here would be fatal, because a similar object still exists
elsewhere in the museum and bears the correct number. To check this, you
only need to look for the presumably wrong number on the object in the
computer: if another object is then displayed, you have made a mistake
in assuming that the object would have a wrong number.

If you search e.g. a comb and a cupboard is found, the inventory number
system was applied incorrectly or misunderstood. Of course, that has to
be corrected in the inventory program.

Researching the causes is so important because fraud and theft can also
be behind it. This phenomenon is particularly known from libraries: the
inventory number of the stolen object is given deliberately to a similar
object so that the theft remains unnoticed. Another variant to consider
could be that an object was handed over to an external conservator for
months, who then kept the original, and returned a forgery to the museum
with the original inventory number. In this case, the factually correct
inventory number is on the counterfeit (i.e. the wrong object). An
incorrect inventory number could also have been created in the inventory
program in order to cover up a theft. Systematic thefts on a large scale
from museums and libraries by external and internal parties, directors
or guest scientists are a phenomenon that has always been an issue (and
is often kept under the covers).

The source of the error can, however, also lie in an undetected faulty
data import from an earlier data system (bug). In this case there are
probably a lot of misnomeres whose systematics one has to recognize. In
these cases the numbers are changed in the system, not on the object.

In many cases, museums use "speaking" inventory numbers instead of
simple numbers. An example: KHC2099.2014 stands for ceramics, Haller
Collection No. 2099, acquired in 2014. I've seen numbering systems which
include also the eternal storage location (e.g. "D3" for depository 3).
If the depot is closed, the inventory number and the location must be
changed (usually there is a "location" field for the exact location,
e.g. room 23, shelf 4, shelf c. "Speaking" inventory numbers are
actually no longer necessary since the invention of good inventory
programs, but are almost everywhere continued because it is so
practical. However, if the processor in my example at some point
realizes that the property was acquired in 2017 with a second tranche,
the inventory number must be changed, otherwise it is incorrect.

One more remark: Especially when you change crucial facts in the
inventory programs, it is important to record this: who, when, what and
why. You cannot just overwrite and save here nowadays without a
protocol. This protocol is automatically created in better modern
programs, but only works properly if every authorized person logs in
with different access data. For each correction, the true reasons are to
be mentioned. Reasons matter also at that point.

Hope that helps

Christian

--
*Verlag Dr. Christian Müller-Straten*
Crossmedia-Spezialverlag für die Bewahrung von Kultur und Natur
Redaktion: Dr. Adelheid Straten ([log in to unmask])
Herausgeber: Dr. Christian Mueller-Straten
Kunzweg 23, 81243 München, Germany
https://www.museumaktuell.de T. 0049-(0)89-839 690 43, Fax -44,
Üblicherweise erreichbar: 7-20 h MEZ
Media: MUSEUM AKTUELL print und MUSEUM AKTUELL Online (mit Volltextsuche
und aktiven Links), EXPOTIME!, RESTAURATORENBLÄTTER - Papers in
Conservation,
das dt.-englische Fachlexikon KONSERVATIVe und das Europäische
Museumsportal www.museumaktuell.de
Kommerzielle Anliegen:
Medienberatung Kulturpromotion Mark Häcker, Südstr. 26, 47877 Willich,
T. 0049-(0)1590 1696505, [log in to unmask]