Dear colleagues:

Responses to my previous 25 June 2020 Critical Museology Miscellanea post announced here weeks ago dealing with the criticisms of the Canadian Museum for Human Rright's (CMHR) acceding to a religious group's request for a tour of the facility that avoided its exhibits on LGBTQ2+ human rights necessitated an update.

It is notable that the willingness of the Museum to agree to this request has received widespread criticism--including from no one less than the federal Minister of the Department of Canadian Heritage.  The Hon. Steven Guilbeault, the Minister of the department responsible for federal museums in Canada, has been quoted as follows: "An institution like the Canadian Museum for Human Rights should not be perceived as condoning homophobia or engaging in self-censorship.”

In a new post "Rejoinder re Responses to Previous Post on Visitor-Centredness Considerations & CMHR LGBTQ2+ Controversy" (Thistle 2020), I pose a series of 29 questions on issues raised by those who responded to my original piece & other the other commentaries reported in the media.

These questions derive from my understanding of museum visitor-centredness ideals, ethics, & public programming best practice, as well as human rights legal protections. I apply these standards to the case of the CMHR's accommodation provided to the visiting group  to tour the facility, but to circumvent exhibits on  LGBTQ2+ human rights.

Those interested in such matters are invited to reflect on the post linked below.

Thanks to all for thinking about these important matters.

Paul C. Thistle

Reference Cited:

Thistle, Paul C. 2020: "Rejoinder re Responses to Previous Post on Visitor-Centredness Considerations & CMHR LGBTQ2+ Controversy." Critical Museology Miscellanea blog posted 17 July 2020 at https://miscellaneousmuseology.wordpress.com/2020/07/17/rejoinder-to-responses-on-previous-post-on-visitor-centredness-considerations-cmhr-lgbtq2-controversy/ .