Erica,

I teach an online course on "Copyright and Intellectual Property 101 for
Museums". I have works in several media that have been copyrighted, have
encountered copyright issues in my long career in museums and conservation,
and I was the Executive Director of a large international membership
organization for songwriters and composers and coordinated educational
programs on copyright and IP by several top entertainment and Intellectual
Property lawyers here in Los Angeles.

This sounds straight forward, but in all things with copyright and IP, it
really depends on the details.

If the oral histories were recorded by the museum, then the copyright
belongs to the museum, who created the recordings into tangible form in
both the tapes and the transcripts. That would be true regardless of the
waivers. With the waivers there is really no doubt that you own the rights
whether the materials were registered with the copyright office or not at
the time. The majority of earlier copyrights were grandfathered in by the
copyright revision law in 1972. There are some exceptions to that, where
the previous law requiring publication before works could be copyrighted,
and, also a renewal requirement to maintain copyright. The law in 1972
dropped the publication and renewal requirements and simply made copyright
automatic from when the work is rendered into tangible form that lasts for
the life of the creator (s) plus 70 years in the current law. Copyright
registration allows you to protect more of your legal rights in court. So
knowing the context and dates when these oral histories were created may be
important.

Since these transcripts are in your collections (and hopefully catalogued)
the same policy and rules by the museum for researchers or publishers to
use them should apply the same as they would for a diary or photos that are
in the collections. The usual agreements often contain how the works should
be cited and how the institution should be credited. If the copyright for
the works were held by creators outside of the museum, then it gets more
complicated. Museums and collectors own art works and objects as physical
property, but do not own the copyrights unless they have been expressly
transferred to the museum by the creator (s) of that work. This is why I
had to contact living artists or their heirs or foundations whose works
were in copyright, when I, as a conservator, was going to treat them.

Since this request for your documents are for use in a dissertation there
should be no issues. But, in all things dealing with copyright and
intellectual property, you should always consult a lawyer.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Principal Conservator & Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com