She:kon all,

Oh gosh, well I'm hesitant to walk into this discussion since I've primarily avoided the whole thing on social media since as a BIPOC person it's exhausting and emotionally upsetting but I suppose I don't get the privilege of thinking of this as a philosophical discussion. I can't address every point in this discussion - I'm very glad it is happening though and read all of the comments with great interest - in fact this is my first ever response to a MUSEUM-L thread.

Two years ago we had this "debate" in my History of Human Rights Course - I was the only BIPOC person in the conversation in a cohort of history MA's and PhD students - 20 of us and I'm white passing and I was the only one arguing that not only are many of the statues historically inaccurate they are also bad art and perpetuate problematic myths.

Thank you for posting the well thought out responses to the idea of these statues being put in museums and the challenges it presents (also museums are not neutral - an excellent and important point).

To all those commenting on the ignorance or "purity of history" there is no such thing as pure history even we as museum professionals and historians bring a biase. History is taught, studied and thought about within the confines (values, limitations, ethics) of our own time and what our communities prioritize - what we write, preserve, and discuss is always biased - so the argument that this is re-writing history is a fallacy - we all know that even historic "primary" documents are biased - so perhaps we should all get off our own "high horses" and reflect on that - there is no pure history.

James Fennimore Cooper and Cooperstown is a terrible example of historical preservation (sorry to call this one out but it particularly annoys me) - as an Indigenous scholar who studied at the Fenimore museum for a week I was appalled by the lack of information or blatant racism displayed by historic markers and monuments in this town - which is in the middle of Haudenosaunee (Six Nations / Iroquois) territory - there is a "native burial mound" with a plaque, "native hunter" statue and a plaque extolling the virtues of the Clinton Sullivan campaign.

Finally something that stands out to me is that all of these statues (on public or private land) are all on Indigenous land - yes we are still here we are still have nations and governance systems, languages, ceremonies, food systems - sometimes imperfect thanks colonial trauma - but even in the US thanks to Marshall (who of course was acting in his own best interests) we are recognized as nations - and regardless of whether we have been disposed from the land through theft or (primarily fraudulent) treaties we are still here and belong to the land and have a responsibility to the land - so to talk about "public land / private land" that the statues are on is also a fallacy predicated on colonial narratives.

For non BIPOC folks perhaps it is time to reflect that the current level of discomfort, perceived danger (to monuments to dead white guys), and social upheaval is nothing compared to the day to day acts of racism, marginalization, violence, systemic injustice and historical trauma faced by Black, Indigenous, People of Colour. The change we are seeing is long overdue - it's appalling it took a pandemic for us to have the time to reflect on this and discuss it - and hopefully make positive change - but I for one am grateful that we are living in this time.

Heather