My understanding of ethical deaccessioning lists transfer as the first option, followed by auction and then destruction. I work at a county historical society. The things we deaccession are not generally items that another institution is going to want in their collection. Public auction is a valuable tool to keep objects that are still in good condition but don’t fit our mission out of the dumpster. It also provides a little bit of cash flow for collections care, since our budget is perennially tight (not that that is why we deaccession them.)

Amanda