Hi Carly,

Museum education programs should ALWAYS be created and aligned with a state's educational standards. For example, I run a historic site, but the family we interpret only appears in the 8th grade curriculum for our state, yet we program K-12. Every one of our programs addresses at least 1 state educational standard so that the schools, especially those that our struggling academically, can justify a field trip.  Some people will now scream about "mission".  We meet mission because the family we interpret did not live in a vacuum nor a cave in the woods, they read widely of history, religion, natural history, as well as took many many newspapers.

The other "guideline" for museum education...MAKE IT FUN/ENGAGING!  Don't use yourself as the test of "would I have found this fun when I was 10" because you are too old (even if you are 22) -- use today's 10 year old as the model. And if it isn't fun or engaging, then chuck it and start over.

Best of luck.
--
Michelle Zupan
Curator

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc