Hi Tori,

We interview for our summer interns every year.  They are college/grad
school age and must have had some previous experience working with kids
(beyond babysitting).

To help us narrow the field of applicants we have them actually complete a
short job application beyond just the resume and cover letter. So, they get
some questions in advance.  Applicants who expounded at great length on
their applications about having a ton of experience with kids turn out to
completely bomb that portion of the in-person interview and have merely
watched their nephew for a few hours while their sister went shopping.

I'm with you in the need for spontaneity and knowing how well someone
thinks on their feet. In our profession it can make all the difference.  As
for inclusivity, we have more of an issue getting applications from people
of color, but the applications we do receive have resulted in some
wonderful interns.  This year we went to our local university's employment
fair and gave out info on the internship.  We had more applicants of color.
We had our first "known" gender non-conforming applicant (they introduced
themselves to us that way, we don't ask).  And, we got to speak to many of
the applicants before we ever decided who to interview.
We will probably go back to the university job fair next year because it
worked out well.

Best of luck!
--
*Michelle Zupan*
Curator

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/hickoryhillmuseum>.
Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc
<http://www.watson-brown.org>.