Julie:

If I were your Executive Director, I would consider posting your RFQ regionally and nationally just to be certain that you generate sufficient qualified responses.  Your post could indicate that you would prefer a California-based consultant, and your review of submissions could focus on those respondents initially.  However, should you receive an insufficient response from qualified consultants in-state, having initially cast a wider net with your RFQ means that you could easily shift to considering responses received from further afield without having to re-issue your RFQ.

I'm not aware of a Listserv or online discussion forum that is focused specifically on museum consultants.  Most such forums are broader in focus (e.g. non-profit consultants), and would likely produce too many responses from consultants without the museum interpretive planning experience you're seeking.  However, in addition to posting to the ICOM Museum-L Listserv used for your inquiry, I would also post on the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) Museum Junction https://community.aam-us.org/ .  While both these forums are targeted at Museum Professionals, consultants who primarily serve museums frequently pay attention to these postings as well.

Secondarily, you might explore with the following organizations whether a posting through their websites would be appropriate.  These organizations don't appear to provide the same kind of broad "online community forums" available through ICOM or AAM, but might be amenable to your "creative" use of what they do offer:
Finally, don't hesitate to do an online search for appropriate consultants, as well as inquire with colleagues at other museums for referrals.  In addition to your posting of the RFQ, it is often these more focused personal searches and referrals that yield the strongest prospects.

Happy hunting!

Regards,

John

John E. Coraor, Ph.D.