I've done this before, using a couple different hardware platforms.

The last time I did a setup with audio I used the MedeaWiz Sprite repeaters but those required separate amplified speakers. It got to be a bunch of stuff crammed under each station!

The PicoBoo controller from FrightProps also makes for a very versatile audio player for exhibits like this, with the added benefit that it can do things like turn on one or two lights timed to the audio playback. Just ignore its ominously black and neon green exterior (you can hide it!). All you need to add then is the speakers as it has an internal amplifier, and being that it's designed to drive haunted house props, it can be pretty loud if you need it to be...