Margaret, hi. Finding your query many months later, so you may no longer need this feedback, but here goes.

We started a museum exhibits committee last spring, mostly so we could decide what 2 to 3 new exhibits we would create for the coming 2.5 years that would culminate with our town's 350th anniversary. I am currently the part-time paid curator (after many years as the volunteer curator) and had been designing and mounting exhibits in the past with a handful of volunteers, a part-time assistant and one other board member. For the exhibits committee, I invited 2 board members who know the town well and the collection somewhat, and two community members who are interested in history and the museum (one an architect, one an artist). They are all smart, creative people who bring different perspectives. By having the committee, it forced me (and us) to think more broadly about what topics were important enough to our mission and the town's history to be included in this high-profile time, but also have the best shot at being engaging for existing and new audiences.

In some cases, the committee members suggested great topics that would not have occurred to me. They also had lots of ideas about possible titles, who to talk to, where to go for additional items that could be loaned for the exhibit, and in many cases had pertinent items they loaned themselves. I gave them the option to work on exhibits as much or as little as they wanted, but trying to play to their strengths and interests. I had to make some hard choices as we went along, realizing three exhibits a year was too ambitious for the time and resources available. So the buck still stops with the curator and the Board, but the museum exhibits committee has made the process easier, and the exhibits better.

best,
--Kathie

Kathie Gow

Curator, Hatfield Historical Museum     hatfieldhistory.weebly.com

Oral History Producer     wordspicturesstories.com