Michelle,
My institution does not have a policy but you might want to reach out to Jennifer (Amadeus) Scott at the University of Michigan. She's in the NAGPRA department and I heard her present at a conference a couple of years ago regarding practices in place during their large scale repatriation process. Her email is [log in to unmask], phone: 734.936.3931.

I'm sure that she can lend some insight!

Regina

Regina Gorham
Collections Manager
Kalamazoo Valley Museum