Am 13.08.2018 um 17:30 schrieb C. Müller-Straten:
I have been in a few conferences with other museum professionals that have advised not to receive loans (for various reasons, mainly, because of the legality and the paper work involved).
Hi again,
as this matter seems to be a crucial issue for some museum people, here is my additional comment:

Your main topics: You and your board try to avoid legal issues and paper work involved.

The volonteers issue: they do not care about later legal issues, they wish the engage themselves for the museum, think that it's their task 1) to involve the public in exhibitions 2) to select loan objects) for the museum/for an exhibition. And they did not know (or have forgotten) that any loans means paperwork (contracts, lists, intermediate registration...)
If they have been informed about the Board's decision in a proper and explaining manner, they either did not understand the decision or reject it. If they had not been informed about the Board's decision in a proper and explaining manner, they are not to blame because the inclusion of the public is one of important issues for museum work today.

My personal advice: Get clever loan contracts fitting for your museum from the museum community as well as work-reducing forms, because an engaged public is important for the survival of each museum. A policy "against loans" can be interpreted as a policy against any public commitment.

Best

Christian

--
Verlag Dr. Christian Müller-Straten
Crossmedia-Spezialverlag für die Bewahrung von Kultur und Natur