What is the curatorial norm for updating old electrical cords in period lamps? We have a mid-20th light that is affixed to the top of a painting and it is in need of a new electrical cord. The current cord is the original one – complete with the old plug. It looks like the lamp was never accessioned, but it appears to have always been attached to the portrait it is on. The electric cord and plug are in and of themselves historically interesting as they relate to the interpretation period of the house, however, since they are a fire hazard, they need to be retired. The lamp is lit daily, so I know that we need to either replace the cord or replace the lamp with a reproduction.  I’m wondering what other historic houses have done in this situation.

Robin H. Gabriel

Executive Director

Kaminski House Museum

Georgetown, SC 29440

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to public disclosure under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). This correspondence is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure.