The Heritage Interpretation Training Center

Visitormotivations for selecting/attending (or not attending)
interpretiveprograms and services.

A visitor-centeredcourse on how to increase your visitor program
participationnumbers (attendance) in/at interpretive programs/services and experiences,
basedon research from visitor interpretive content/topic preferences andexpectations.

CourseTuition: $300.00 (3.5 CEU’s).
Courseweb site: http://www.heritageinterp.com/visitor_motives_for_attending_interpretive_program.html

Way back in the 1970’s working as a seasonal interpretivenaturalist with Ohio State Parks for 5 seasons, I observed several things thataffected my program attendances including:

- We offered many program topics that almost no oneattended.
- We offered some programs that only older park visitorswanted.
- We offered some experiences that only younger visitorswanted.
- We offered programs or experiences that visitorsattended, but for different reasons (perceived outcomes).

I felt that we (interpreters) offered interpretive programsfor our weekly schedules on topics that WE liked or were interested in – neverthinking about program topics or experiences that the visitors might beinterested in.

Two seasons of visitor survey research (surveyed over 4000visitors) at the Ohio State Park I worked at, for my M.S. in interpretation (atThe Ohio State University), I wanted to learn, among other things, what programtopics the visitors were interested in.  I surveyed 90 different programtopics, including program topics we actually offered.  I also wanted tolearn why visitors actually attended programs I was offering.  So what didI learn?

- None of the interpretive program topics we actuallyoffered were selected as preferred
  program topics that the visitors actually wanted to attend or have aninterest in.
- Some program topics were preferred mostly by men.
- Some program topics were preferred mostly by women.
- Some program topics were preferred by both men and womenbut for different reasons (based
  on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs).
- There were significant program topic preferencesdifferences by different age groups and
  genders.
- There were significant scheduling differences as to whenvisitors wanted to participant in
   interpretive programs or experiences.
- And more....

Based on the results, and now 30 years of interpretiveconsulting work, I consistently think about just who the visitors/market groupsare you want, and, what do THEY want? What products are you sellinganyway?  Thus the “visitor” analysis as part of our interpretive masterplanning work.

If this course on better understanding your visitor'smotivations for selecting and attending interpretive programs or experiences issomething you could use, check out the course content below.  You canstart the course at any time and complete the course at your own pace.

Course tuitionincludes:

- Copy of John Veverka M.S. Thesis on Visitor Motivationsfor selecting and attending
  interpretive programs.
- E-Copy of Veverka textbook “Interpretive Master Planning”.
- Numerous handouts and articles on marketing forinterpretation and visitor survey research.
- Handouts on mass customization and markets of one.
- YouTube video introductions for each unit.
- You can call/SKYPE course instructor/coach when you havequestions.

The course units combine aspects of interpretive planning,motivational psychology, visitor survey research strategies, interpretivewriting for marketing, and visitation tracking.

Unit One - Interpretive Master Planning –the model of interpretive planning.

Unit Two - Visitor motivational psychology– Maslow and visitor needs and motivations.

Unit Three - Visitor surveyresearch/questionnaire development and survey strategies.

Unit Four - Timing is everything – when/where to offer interpretiveexperiences and program duration.

Unit Five - Using the survey results –markets of one and mass customization.

Unit Six - Creating new visitor-centeredinterpretive programs/services/experiences (mission, theme reviews andobjectives). Interpretive program planning strategies.

Unit Seven - Rethinking marketing – “if youadvertise an interpretive program, tour or experience and you ask the visitorsto “give you an hour or two of your time”, or you charge for your programsor experiences, what benefits for attending the program or experience areyou offering them in return?  What’s in it for them? Are you offering a$1.00 perceived experience for $10.00?

Unit Eight - Interpretive writing forinterpretive program/service flyer/web-based advertising.

Unit Nine - Tracking long-term follow-upbased on new interpretive program/services offerings.  Are your visitornumbers increasing for interpretive programs or experiences?

If youhave any questions please feel free to contact me.

JohnVeverka
Director/Coach
HeritageInterpretation Training Center

We offer 41 courses on heritage interpretation:

http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_training_center_course_catalogue_.html