Dear all,

I work for a library/archive in New York City that has a small gallery space which holds rotating exhibits.

My organization has a table top display case from Waddell which cannot lock.  The barrel lock is loose, and the key seems to have disappeared.  However the lock broke and whatever happened to the key, is institutional knowledge that has been lost to time and staff changes.

I inquired with a local locksmith, and he said that the manufacturer would need to replace the lock.  I inquired with Waddell about having the lock fixed, but that would require shipping the case back to their Ohio facility to have a new lock retrofitted into the case, which seems prohibitively expensive.

Are there any other solutions I’m not thinking of?  Or do any New York museum colleagues have the name of a locksmith who could manage such work?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely,

Lauren Paustian

Collections Care Coordinator