From: Rachel Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
To: MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Jul 27, 2018 11:27 am
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Light it Up

Thank you all for helping me with my earlier question about pianos and organs.

I do have another question that I hope you can help me with:

Windows (with direct sunlight/no shading, blinds, or film), windows (with just shading like black-out shades), windows (with only UV film, as in, the inexpensive film from Walmart) - which is best?

I know with out a doubt that direct sunlight is not; however, which of the last two options is best? I am asking because right now in my museum we have windows with black-out shades. Unfortunately, I keep walking in and finding a few have been drawn up from a docent that volunteers there. I have repeatedly explained why direct sunlight is harmful, but this volunteer keeps asking why we can't add the UV film and *then* have the shades drawn. (Not a single window has the UV protection in the building, but most do have the shades). This volunteer also complains that it is too dark - when I have checked the lighting meter, and it is too much direct light even with the florescent lights we have. I, honestly, do not want the film and have the shades drawn up - I personally love the shades. But I am trying to do the right thing by following museum standards/procedures.

What is the best option we have as for lighting?

Thank you so much for all your help!
-Rachel Whitney