Rachel,

taking some details from your former posting, you said: You are museum director of a small-town museum in Oklahoma which runs storage rooms where there is no a/c, humidity control, and mold in the building. Your museum uses black-out shades while not a single window has UV protection. Some rooms have fluorescent lights installed. In addition to these circumstances, one volunteer draws up the shade to work under better light conditions.

As you seem to know museum standards, this scenario sounds like a lot of work. As the museum director, you are the one who is on duty to introduce museum standards to your museum. These standards are made to conservate objects and respect the needs of all the museum personnel.

The shades/Venetian blinds are better than nothing. But they solve only minor problems. Look at the problem fro a different angle.

My personal advice would be:

1) Have a look for different safe storage room(s) without mold, with dark rooms,  and with climate control.
2) Listen to conservators with ref. to UV protection: sunlight can be dangerous, but also most kinds of electric lights. Learn which materials are endangered, which not.
3) Create a "treasury room" (dark room) for objects to be protected from UV (in both exhibition space and storage rooms). To illuminate the objects use photoelectric barriers, dimmers and modern LEDs.
4) Take a look at the material of all your objects and separate them in light-sensitive classes. Show light sensitive objects in darker or dark rooms. Make an exchange list for endangered objects. Find a solution to prevent visitors using flashlights in darker or dark rooms.

5) Respect the volunteer's wish to work under normal conditions. Ask a conservator how to handle this particular problem.

Best

Christian