Dear Steven:  Here are a few suggestions of places to look at.

Thoreau Farm Trust.  While the organization was formed to preserve the building and interpret the life of Henry David Thoreau, it has a wider mission as a community resource and educating on the topic of sustainable living.  They house the offices of another non profit, are located next to a farm that grows food for a local soup kitchen, and have space for community groups to meet.  As a result, they are more than just an historic site. One full-time employee

https://thoreaufarm.org/

The H. L. Ferguson Museum on Fishers Island, NY is the "total package" community museum.  they interpret the local history, natural history and archaeology.  they have a strong program with the local school and partner with another non-profit to provide nature programs.  They also have an auditorium/lecture space and a library.  They are not in an historic structure, however. One full time Director/Curator and a couple part time gallery attendants.  Open less in winter as it is mainly a seasonal community.

http://fergusonmuseum.org/

Noah Webster House/West Hartford Historical Society operates out of the Noah Webster House with a large addition used for events and educational programming.  They are owned by the Town of West Hartford, CT.  They do a lot of school programing and have some costumed interpretation.  They do specific Noah Webster as well as Town-wide history topics in exhibits. Four Full time and several part time employees.

https://noahwebsterhouse.org/

Hope these are helpful?

Best Regards,

Valarie