First, check city, county, state laws concerning dogs left in cars on hot days. Last year here in CA we passed a law that good samaritans can break car windows to release an animal from a hot car, but they are required to call 9-11 first. Knowing the law is also helpful to explaining to the visitor that leaving their dog in a car on a hot day can lead to significant legal issues such as an obligation to call the police. It is best to ask a visitor like this to please take their dog home and visit again without them. You can even give them a discount or a compmementary visit to do the right thing so you don't lose a visitor who you asked to go home.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Principal Conservator & Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA. USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com