Hello everyone,

The submission deadline for this CFP is October 1. Please get in touch if you have any questions.

POPULAR ART, ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN

Call for Papers

Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association

2019 National Conference

Washington Marriot Wardman Park, Washington, D.C.

Wednesday, April 17 to Saturday, April 20, 2019

For information on PCA/ACA, please go to http://www.pcaaca.org

For conference information, please go to http://www.pcaaca.org/national-conference/

Deadline for Submissions: October 1, 2018

The Popular Art, Architecture & Design area is concerned with the aesthetics, the history, and the theory of popular culture in the everyday world of the past, the present, and the future.

We are considering proposals for sessions organized around a theme, special panels, and/or individual papers. Sessions are scheduled in 1½ hour slots, typically with four papers or speakers per standard session. Presentations should not exceed 15 minutes. Working professionals, scholars, educators, and graduate students from a variety of methodologies including Art History, Fine Art, Museum or Curatorial Studies, Architecture, and Industrial/Interior Design are all encouraged to submit.

It is a broad area indeed, so think creatively! At previous conferences the topics have included, but were certainly not limited to, the following:

   World Fairs

   Neon signs

   Architecture of Tadao Ando

   Disneyland

   Edward Durell Stone

   Sandy Skoglund and Gregory Crewdson’s visions of suburbia

   Portrait miniatures

   Kara Walker’s silhouettes

   Superman and Art Deco

   Art of Howard Finster

   Art Environments

   Place-Inspired Activism

   Elizabeth Catlett

   Norman Rockwell’s lost drawings

   Cold War American Suburban Imaginary

   Nineteenth-Century Ephemera: Scrapbooks and Trompe l’Oeil Painting

   Art Nouveau’s Revival in 1960’s Popular Culture

   Restoration of Charles Lindbergh’s House

   Kitchen Design in Glass Houses

Please submit a title and an abstract of no more than 250 words and a short 50-word bio with contact information (name, institutional affiliation, mail and email addresses, and contact telephone number) by October 1, 2018. To submit an abstract, go to http://ncp.pcaaca.org and follow the instructions for creating an account and making your submission. Please note that all submissions must be made through the conference submission site, so do not email your abstract. Instructions for logging in and submitting proposals appear on the home screen of the site and are also available here: http://www.pcaaca.org/conference/instructions.php

Be sure to proofread your name, title, and abstract closely as this text will become part of the program should your proposal be selected.

Key Dates
Keep in mind the following timeline:

   1 July Database Opens for Submissions

   1 October Registration Opens

   1 October Deadline for Paper Proposals

   15 November Early Bird Registration Rate Ends

   1 December Preliminary Program Available

   15 December “Drop Dead”: Participants Not Registered Removed from Program

   3 January 2019 Final Program to the Publisher

   17-20 April 2019 Washington, D.C.!

For more conference information, go to http://www.pcaaca.org/national-conference/

Travel and research grants are available: http://pcaaca.org/grants/

Any inquires should be directed to the area chair:

Dr. Jennifer Streb

Professor of Art History

Curator, Juniata College Museum of Art

Juniata College