Greetings,

That reminds me of how my current museum smelled when I first joined the
staff.  It is a historic building with steam pipes for the winter, and
leaky windows for the summer.  But the building had a distinct pungent
odor, due to the exhibit cases.  They were all antique store cases, with
brown staining and glass fronts and tops, as old as the museum itself.  A
few had signs of water damage and fungal staining.  Other wooden cases were
just decomposing from age.  I do not know the age of the water damage, but
the museum went to great efforts to upgrade the exhibits and remove the
damaged cases.

Thank you,

Michael R
​.​