I would be interested in this information as well. Thanks!

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Kelsy Sinelnikov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello,

I work for a small history museum and we often have people drop by with items they wish to donate. We have a temporary deposit form that we have them fill out and this states that they are required to pick up the item within 30 days if it is not accepted into the collection. However, they often state "if you don't want them that's fine, but I don't want them back," and that they will not return even if we notify them. This creates an issue of storage and disposal for us. We would like to discourage people dropping off donations without prior contact with a staff member.

I was wondering about other museums approach to people dropping by with items unannounced.  I am working on a website page regarding donation, but would love to hear other ideas for discouraging this and policies regarding drop offs.

Thank you!

Kelsy

--
Rachel Lovelace-Portal
Curator of Collections, Deadwood History, Inc