From: Karen Eckhaus
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [MUSEUM-L] Unsolicited Object Donations

Hi,

In a previous position, I developed a “plain language” collections policy (below), a 2 page document that we had on the website and handed out on-site. We refused to accept anything unsolicited.

SUBMISSION:

Before submitting for consideration the XXXFoundation will require the following on the intended donation:

The XXXMuseum at no time will make available your personal information to any third party; your personal information will remain confidential between you and The Museum and Foundation. We may disclose personal information only if required to do so by law or that such action is necessary to (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on us; (b) protect and defend our rights or property or those of our visitors, and (c) act as immediately necessary in order to protect the personal safety of our visitors or the general public.

The donor will be responsible for transporting the artifact to the museum. If a submission is rejected and no arrangements have been made by the potential donor for return of the item/s, the XXX Foundation reserves the right to dispose of the contents as they see fit.

Please send all donation information to:

DONATION OFFER:

Museum address

Email- collections email

Donation offers are reviewed as they are received.

Due to the high volume of material submitted for review we are not always able to respond to everyone or to meet personally to review all portfolios. We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

XXXMuseum Curatorial Staff

SELECTION AND RETENTION CRITERIA

Materials should be pertinent to the broad mission of the Museum. Not all materials warrant permanent archival preservation. To determine which materials should be acquired or retained, the staff will use the following criteria:

  1. Relevance to present or potential Museum mission and requirements
  2. Relation to the collection and other publications on the subject, including duplication of materials already in the collection and the importance of informational or evidential value
  3. The legal rights of the donor to place the records in the Archives
  4. Compliance with copyright standards
  5. Condition of the material
  6. Availability of resources required to make the material available for research in a reasonable period of time
  7. Availability of preservation resources, such as storage space, copying and conservation, staff time, etc.
  8. Extent and terms of any restrictions to access
  9. Availability of the material from other sources, such as local libraries, historical organizations, and document repositories

APPRAISAL:

Establishing the donation value for tax purposes is the sole responsibility of the donor. The XXX Foundation, XXXMuseum or its staff will not, as an interested party, provide a qualified appraisal of the value of a proposed donation. Please contact the American Society of Appraisers (www.appraisers.org) to find an accredited appraiser in your area.

DOCUMENTATION:

A deed of gift, which transfers ownership of the collection to the XXXMuseum and testifies to the rights and obligations of both parties, will be provided for all materials donated to the Foundation. The agreement or deed of gift shall be signed by the donor and the Foundation Director or designated representatives.

An accompanying tax receipt stating the value of the donation will be produced only when the donor provides an accredited appraisal.

USE OF MATERIALS:

Materials donated to the XXX Foundation will be catalogued, preserved, stored or displayed.

DEACCESSION:

Artifacts in the permanent collections of the XXX Foundation/XXXMuseum will be retained in perpetuity if they continue to be relevant and useful to furthering the mission of the XXX Foundation and the XXXMuseum and if they can be properly stored, preserved, and used. When these conditions no longer prevail, artifacts may be deaccessioned from the permanent collections at the discretion of the Museum’s collection manager.

Best,

Karen

KAREN ECKHAUS | Senior Director of Operations and Visitor Services

212.857.9768
ICP | SCHOOL | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | TUMBLR