In the past I've trimmed the flammable tops off of the matches, though
that's a choice of changing the artifact. Storing them in sealable acid
free plastic bags, separate from each other, and also depriving the matches
of oxygen.
My only other thought - which I've done no research on - is if you could
apply acrylic to the flammable portion but I have no clue if that would
work in this situation.

Hope that helps,

Regina

Collections Manager