Hi Keith,

If it is not an important object type for the collection or has an important biographical or historical association then you should review your collections management policy and the deed of gift for any restrictions and if there aren't any you can either deaccession it for education purposes (ceramic fragments are great for archaeology exhibits or for hands on programs for kids) or you could dispose of them, hopefully to another museum or a conservation training program where they could use it.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant