Ashley,
Below is one more response for you from Anne M. Young Manager of Rights and Reproductions at Newfields (formerly the Indianapolis Museum of Art) editor of Rights & Reproductions: The Handbook for Cultural Institutions and instructor of our course Rights & Reproductions: Guidelines and Best Practices http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/rights-reproductions-guidelines-and-best-practices/
Feel free to contact Anne directly.
--
Brad Bredehoft
CEO

I preface this reply with the note that cannot claim to provide legal advice to the specifics of this situation and when in doubt it is advisable to seek counsel from a lawyer that knows more about the specifics of your institution. That said...my reply...

The museum likely does not/cannot hold copyright to reproductions it creates of historic photographs (see Bridgeman v. Corel case in which it was outlined that creating “slavish” reproductions of two dimensional works does not create a new copyright because you are just creating a faithful rendering of the original work). There may still be copyright in the original photographs, but that would require a diligent search to determine if/when the work was created, published, and registered (and re-registered, if applicable) to conclude if it is still under copyright or has moved into the public domain. If the original work is in the public domain and the museum creates a reproduction of that photograph there is not a new copyright created and it in no way adds a copyright onto the original work. If the work is in the public domain it is available for anyone to use in any way. So, even if the museum purports to claim a copyright to its reproduction of the original work, the underlying work has no restriction in its use by anyone (i.e., anyone can use it for any purpose).

My recommendation would be to not claim a copyright to the reproductions of the historic photographs (whether those are public domain or under copyright) and in any uses of those photographs to instead seek a credit to the holding museum vs. placement of a watermark, which simply distorts the image itself. Acknowledgement of the holding institution in an adjacent caption or credit would be a preferable route vs. watermarking.

Additional information about a variety of museum uses, determining copyright status, use of caption/credit, and fair use of images can be found in Rights & Reproductions: The Handbook for Cultural Institutions
(https://aam-us.org/ProductCatalog/Product?ID=5186).

With best regards,
Anne

Anne M. Young