Ashley,

I developed and teach an online course on "Copyright and Intellectual
Property 101 for Museums". (I'll be teaching it again in May).

Copyright belongs to the creator of the photo or their heirs or if the
photo was done by an employee or contractor as a work for hire then it
belongs to the individual or company who commissioned the work. Just
because you own a photo, or a painting, book, or sculpture does not mean
you own copyright - you only own it as property.

"The duration of *copyright* in these works is generally computed the same
way as for works created on or after January 1, 1978: life plus 70 years or
95 or 120 years, depending on the nature of authorship. However, all works
in this category are guaranteed at least 25 years of statutory protection."

For copyrights before 1978 there was a requirement that copyright started
upon publication. That was dropped in tge 1978 legislation to copyright
automatically being in force when the work is rendered into a tangible form.

So, most historic photos before 1923 are probably in the public domain and
anyone can use them.

What museums do control is access to the original photos. It has been a
common practice amomg museums to copyright the photos they take of objects,
art, photos, etc. that are in the public domain. So, as long as the museum
is using their own photos of the historic photos, then they have copyright
to the new images but not the old ones.

Museums also own the copyright to the content of their exhibitions. But,
just remember, no one can copyright facts, words, slogans, or concepts.

So your director is right in that the museum does hold copyright over the
exhibition panels that it creates. You cannot stop Fair Use of any photos
or use of those photos. Fair Use means that use is permitted for satire and
parody, criticism and commentary, journalism, and some educational uses. If
the use is personal (such as on youtube or social media) and / or
transformative, and non-commercial, it is likely Fair Use. So people along
the bike path make take photos and post them online. Since they are on and
intended for public display you aren't probably going to win a copyright
case on that. If someone takes photos and reproduces your exhibit panels
for sale - that's a more likely case.

So my advice is to go ahead and put the copyright notice on the panels, but
chill out about it because the risk of a real copyright case is very
minimal. (By the way, copyright is created when you create the work in a
tangible form, but you don't have the right to bring court action unless
you register the work with the copyright office).

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant