hi all,

This is a great conversation and I'm looking forward to hearing from more folks.

I do want to mention, having served on hiring committees at a number of governmentally housed museums, that it may be important, simply because of the way that resumes may be scored, to specify skills with Microsoft Office, etc. My recommendation is that if that is specified as a required skill, then it's prudent to include it specifically in a skills list. I have seen situations in which there is a rubric with a list of all the required skills that must be scored to sort candidates, and while we may assume that all candidates have basic knowledge of general office/computer work, we cannot score someone who doesn't mention it. So, for government organizations (including university, state, municipal museums), I'd recommend keeping that line.

A category of "Museum Experience" can also serve to consolidate paid and unpaid experience in a single place, allowing other jobs to be listed elsewhere as needed. I think most of us understand that especially for entry-level positions, many folks will have relevant volunteer roles and those should be placed with paid museum work, as long as it is clear what the role was ("Volunteer Docent"). As noted by someone, if the volunteer role was intense, the number of hours per week could be relevant in helping people evaluate that experience.

The other thing I have noted with students getting started in the job search relates to interviewing. Students may need help learning how to answer questions fully, when they feel like they don't have exactly the right examples to provide. Focusing on skills, interests, and approaches you might use to address the situation, when asked "Have you done X" is much more helpful than "No, I haven't, but I would be interested in learning about that." This just takes practice and prior thought into what skills each person brings to the job and how that particular constellation of skills would be useful.

Best of luck to the students as they get rolling on a new round of applications!

Best wishes,
Eisabeth