Imagine you are the hiring manager for a small to mid-sized (up to 15 staff
people) museum. Knowing that you will receive scores of applications for
that collections or education position you are hiring, what do you want the
resumes to look like?

I'm not asking what skills you're looking for, but about resume format.
This relates to the advice our students receive from our placement office.

Are two pages okay if the information is all relevant (our students must
adhere slavishly to one)? Would you like to see specific sections listing
hard and soft skills separate from the employment history (which can then
be greatly abbreviated)? Do you care about the objective statement? How
important really is a GPA if the student has the degree? Students fresh out
of college (undergrad or grad) often have little or no "relevant work
experience" (a required section according to our placement folks) but often
have many applicable hard and soft skills derived from "related activities"
like volunteer activities and coursework (an optional section). Personally
I think this is backwards.

What format is going to catch your attention and help you assess the
applicant fastest? Again, I'm not talking about specific skills, but the
types and arrangement of information on the page(s).

Our placement office pushes a very corporate model for resumes that I'm not
sure serves our museum and non-profit students well. One page, really
stereotypical. While "accounts receivable clerk" has a broad meaning in the
business world, the responsibilities of a "visitor services associate" can
be very different in museums across the street from each other.

I look forward to hearing the group's collective wisdom.

db
--
Dan Bartlett
Curator of Exhibits and Education