Hi Valerie:

I would advise only considering acquisitions at the time the property is
physically available for you to receive as a gift. Essentially, a promised
gift is a loan. I would not enter into a "loan-to-gift" agreement.  So many
things can happen between the agreement initiation and the actual receipt
of the property into the collection.  Here are some scenarios:

1) you get in a disagreement wit the donor and they wish to pull their
loan/gift
2) the museum is unable to care for/store/exhibit the item at the time it
becomes available for accession (storage area full; storage area lost;
major museum renovation; bankruptcy; change in mission; better items
offered  in the interim which are accepted rendering "promised" items
redundant; information comes to light regarding provenance or authenticity
which would make acceptance of gift inadvisable)

And, my personal pet peeve here, and ethical concern - are you essentially
offering "free storage" to someone on the "promise" that the item will be
made available to you at some future point?

I would keep this as simple as possible - retain the items on loan if they
meet the provisions of your collection management policy for incoming
loans. Record and document, with copy of will, contact information for
donor's attorney, the donor's bequest intention.  Renew the loan annually,
or at an interval less than five years, to maintain contact with the
lender/bequestor and attorney.

Also note that federal fractional gift regulations have changed. Fractional
gifts, which are just a registration and collection management nightmare
anyway, must now be completed within five years. It does not sound like a
fractional gift, but your donor may propose something along these lines as
an alternative to the loan-to-gift plan.

Also, become familiar with abandoned property and/or museum property laws
in your state in case you lose contact with the property owner.

Erin.