From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michelle Zupan
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Using Google Translate

Hi Angela,

Here is my 2 cents worth on using Google translate from personal experience.  I am presently trying to translate some old letters written to my granmother from her relatives in Slovenia. No one in my family speaks Slovenian. I started with Google translate and found LOTS of issues -- some of the Slovenian words I typed in gave me...how do I say this delicately...offensive translations in English.  Some of the conjugated verbs came up as not being Slovenian, but rather everything from Esperanto to Italian to Croatian! I am CERTAIN this is not unique to only Slovenian.

It can be a fun little toy, but it's NOT to be used for actual label text or anything the public might see!

Go to your local university's foreign language department and pay a professor to translate it for you!

--
Michelle Zupan
Curator

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org<http://www.hickory-hill.org> or on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/hickoryhillmuseum>.