Hi Aliya,

Thirteen years ago I worked as an architectural conservator on the
restoration of the historic Gamble House in Pasadena. We worked with the
management and staff of the Gamble House with an Historic Site protection
plan for the contractors and the staff. The restoration was on the exterior
of the structure, including a new roof, and not on the interior. The house
continued daily tours during the project with some disruptions where the
main entrance or areas of the building had to be roped off for safety. It
worked well but required a lot of planning and coordination. If you are
doing interior restoration work while tours are going on then that can be
much more difficult, because you will not only have physical barriers and
traffic by the contractors, but things like loud noise, dust, chemical
fumes from paint, adhesives, and cleaning products, but also a lot of dust
at times. So you have to balance your desire for tours for the safety and
comfort of the public. So I think you really think this through in detail
with ALL parties involved. You don't want to slow up the contractors and
you don't want to put the public in a situation where they can't hear or
are bothered by the ongoing construction. Perhaps you can identify days
when the activity inside the house is non-existent or light or in other
areas away from the tours, and also the days when activity will be heavy,
loud, and messy. The contractors will have a punch-list of their schedule
or activities, which is usually reviewed in a walk-through with the
architects and engineers every week. A member of your staff should be on
those walk-through's and have a copy of the weekly punch list for your
planning. On busy construction days perhaps you can do an exterior tour on
the grounds around the house. You interpreters should also explain why the
restoration is important and what is going on. The public loves to hear
about what is being done to preserve history. A good friend and former
colleague of mine is the Historic Preservation Coordinator with the City of
Annapolis and we both worked at Colonial Williamsburg many years ago. She
can really help you on many of these issues. I am happy to send you her
contact information if you would like it.

For visitors who are disabled or who have mobility issues, you have to make
those limitations highlighted on your website , literature, and especially
at the point of purchase for the tours. You have to have it in large font
and not small. You really want to make people aware before they arrive, if
possible. You have to train your staff that it is unacceptable to allow
anyone who many pose a risk on the tours to not be allowed inside. And
maybe this is where you could offer an exterior tour. Even if they sign a
waiver, if an accident happens or they have a bad experience, it will not
end well. Be polite but very firm on this.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA  USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com