Hi Angela!
I don't know about a museum setting, but I currently work in a high school with 10th graders studying US History 1 (French and Indian War - American Civil War). My school has a high immigrant population and many of them have success with the various historical documents with the Google picture translation feature that you describe. If it works for historical documents, I don't see why it wouldn't work for modern signage.
Hope that helps!
All the best,
Katelyn Jernigan