From:
Chris Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 17:39:05 -0500
Anyone have a good working way for visitors to leave an electronic donation?

Looking for ideas for how we can make it easy for visitors to donate at
our museum - besides cash donation left in our 3D Railroad Conductor
Artwork/Donation Box. Has anyone else had success with signage and
PayPal or ANY other method (that doesn't have a large front end cost)?

Thought I would throw this out to see if anyone has suggestions for a
way to implement this that has worked - ie been accepted by visitors and
upped your donations.

Thanks in advance for suggestions - and hoping I don't need to reinvent
the wheel here

.

FYI- our setup - we share a large stone freight depot - the other
entity, local chamber, runs the reception desk and their attached gift
shop. We have very little role in either. Our museum entry is just to
the visitor's right as they walk in the door and has a donation box that
is a 3D artwork by a local artist of a Railroad Conductor with his hat
extended in one hand - which is the donation box. This system has worked
well for years - but we have noticed the donations on a slight decline
for the past 3 years - the same time period paying with a phone etc has
taken off (and the same times period that I see more people not carrying
cash and even I will sometimes conserve my cash when traveling- so if I
can pay with a card I do that rather than use cash). The other entity is
now also not wanting to make change for visitors to leave us a donation
(won't get into the details but this "arranged marriage" dates back to
1989 and has had its ups and downs through the years - we always outlast
the "down" people and get back to better relationships - but that
doesn't help today).

Chris Taylor
Executive Director
Atchison County Historical Society