From:
Leslie Vollnogle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:43:25 +0000
Hi,

  I am trying to figure out how to file a framed poem that our museum has received.  We use PastPerfect5 and I am trying to put this framed poem into its proper Collection category.  I have filed such items in the Library category since it is a published item, which is how we have differentiate the difference between Library and Archives category.  My supervisor is questioning if this item should go into the Objects category.  Her thought is that once a poem has been framed is it still a Library category item or has it been transformed enough to be more like an Object than a published book or magazine.  My thinking is that if the poem is removed from the frame it will be filed in the Library category.  I know that each museum makes its own decisions on which category items should be entered into, but how do other museums enter this type of item?  Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Framed photos were originally cataloged in the Object category, but I have been moving them into the Photo category.  I don't think that framing something has changed it so much to change Collection categories.  Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Leslie A. Vollnogle

Collections Manager

Longyear Museum