From:
Anna Cannizzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2018 12:32:58 -0500
Hello Listers!

The Oshkosh Public Museum was offered a collection of Inuit artwork and had to decline it as it does not fit our mission.  The donor is having trouble finding a potential home to consider the collection and asked me for assistance in reaching out to the wider museum community.  If anyone's institution would be interested in considering this collection, please contact me off-list for the donor's contact information ([log in to unmask]).  The donor provided the following list of material:

Textiles:
   - An Inuit seal-skin bag(purse) with an arctic fox face and ivory toggle (from Greenland, 1940s)
   - An Inuit seal fur doll, 1950s, Kings Island, Alaska

Stone-cut Prints:
   - Polar Bear with Seal, 1962 by Juanisialuk Irqumia, Povengnituk Coop Society, Quebec Canada 1962 (edition 22/25)
   - Woman with Seal, 1963 by Irgumia (above) (edition 29/30)
   -Man Going After Bear with Dogs, 1979 by Isah Papialuk/Anna Amamatuak (edition 20/50)
   -Eskimo Drying Fish by Agnes Nanogak
   -Eskimo Pulling Seal by H. Napartuk
   - Returning from the Hunt by H. Napartuk
   -Eskimo at Seal Hole by H. Napartuk
   -Eskimo and Beluga by H. Napartuk
    -Eskimo Woman Fishing by H. Napartuk
    -Eskimo with Dog Sled by H. Napartuk (rare small piece---conserved)
   - Eskimo in Boat Hunting Walrus by H. Napartuk (conserved)

Sculpture:
    -Inuit Hunter and Seals Group on a slab of granite (artist unknown but from Sanikiluaq...there is a Canadian government disc number on the bottom)
   - Man and Seal from Sanikiluaq (Belcher Island) Artiest signature in bottom ends in "urok". Igloo tag on bottom is earlier version of those first used in 1959. Estimate is from early 1960s.
    -Seal Sculpture by Shovia Eyiatuk, Belcher Island
    -Larger Seal Sculpture in marble (named and signed in Inuit)
    -Inuit Seagull Sculpture (very old with coop number on side) Unknown artist.
   -Otter Sculpture signed on bottom by artist in Inuit (I have not had the artist identified by Smithsonian) This one is highly detailed.

Regards,

Anna Cannizzo
Durow Curator of Collections and Decorative Art
Oshkosh Public Museum