From:
Karen Christianson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2018 08:52:20 -0500
We are in the process of changing the format our regular public tours, which include an overview of the history of the Newberry family and our historic building as well as information about our collection and programs. The current tours are extremely information-heavy, with docents doing most (or all) of the talking. We've done a lot of research on inquiry-based tour techniques and are in the process of developing a new and more interactive and interesting format.

I'm looking for advice on introducing the new methods to our current docents, some of whom have been doing tours the same way for many years. I don't want them to feel insulted or like we're telling them they've been doing things wrong.

I'd appreciate tips from others who've been through this process, as well as any resources - videos, maybe? - to present the changes in a positive way.

Thank you,

Karen Christianson
Director of Public Engagement
Newberry Library