From:
Sarah Saxe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:15:46 -0500
Hello All,
I'm wondering if other institutions have been challenged to go completely digital with registration/curatorial files. I have been charged with investigating the feasibility, pros, and cons of doing this for my museum. My immediate reaction was panic, but I'm hoping to get more information from others who have been in a similar situation. This would be a huge undertaking for us, as we have a half century+ of past records of all types, and we'd need to work out a new system of strictly digital record keeping moving forward; but in theory, we could do it. But do we want to? With new records, currently we are keeping hard copy originals in fireproof cabinets, we scan and save pdfs on our server, and we attach files to our collections software, which is all backed up on the cloud. We are slowly making progress scanning and attaching old records. Would anyone argue to keep ONLY digital copies of past and future records? I see many red flags and obstacles- am I just stuck in the past? Does anyone have positive experiences and/or comments regarding this?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Sarah Saxe, Curator of Collections
City of Greeley Museums