Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:27:41 -0400
There could be a huge difference. You can do transfers with $100 worth of second hand equipment, or you do it at archival standards. This is particularly true of 8mm which is a “home movie” format. Many facilities that handle 8mm do so to home movie standards, not archival standards.

If the companies are local, visit the facilities and ask for a tour of the process. If they can’t do this, I wouldn’t trust them. It doesn’t really take any expertise to tell the difference between a high-quality lab and a low-budget facility.

The National Archive's lab of record is here in Washington, DC metro area. They have as much archival preservation experience as anyone in the country:

http://bonolabs.com/national-archives/

The other local film lab in the Washington, DC metro is Colorlab:

http://www.colorlab.com/film.html

Colorlab is a full service facility as opposed to Bono Labs which is more specialized. Both are excellent film labs with decades of experience and excellent reputations. You can trust either to be as good as anyone in the country.

Sorry I can’t help you with Denver. While I agree that it would be best to stay local, only a few good film labs have survived into the digital age. A lot of what exists now specializes in high volume transfers of “home movies” not professional quality film preservation.

Cheers,
              tod