From:
Kelsey Jistel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 11:52:31 -0500
The Denton County Office of History and Culture oversees the 1896 Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum and the Denton County Historical Park. We are a place of learning and discovery that provides educational opportunities and learning resources to the Denton County community as a public service of the local county government. Some of the ways we do this is by offering museum tours, in-school presentations, historical lectures, community programing, and by maintaining a collection of artifacts and documents that have historical significance for preservation and posterity.

Our mission is to interpret our past, give context to our present, and provide a greater direction to our future. We are committed to the development and experience of Denton County history and dedicated to the cultural enrichment of our community. Our purpose is to welcome, inform, and inspire.

We are seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Collections Manager/Registrar to support the county’s library, archival and museum collections.

Position: Museum Collections Manager/Registrar
Schedule: Temporary, 6-month position
Days/time: Flexible, 30 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm
Reports to: Denton County Office of History and Culture
Compensation: $20.00 an hour

Essential Duties & Responsibilities:

Manage all aspects of collections care (including archives and Reference Library), in
accordance with museum “Standards and Best Practices,” as put forth by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM).
•         Perform collections inventories. Monitor internal and external movement of collections
•         Works to maintain an image archive including images of the permanent collection
•         Determine status of museum ownership for collection items by reviewing museum records
•         Accession and catalog collection items; assigning accession and/or catalog numbers to all items in the collection and creating accurate and precise entries in Past Perfect, the museum’s collection management database
•         Research documentation for deaccessioning
•         Prepare preliminary checklists, condition reports and electronic records of new acquisitions
•         Monitor climate control in galleries and storage
•         Prepare Incoming and Outgoing Loan Agreements as needed
•         Prepare/request Certificates of Insurance, obtain insurance valuations
•         Arrange for packing and shipping of objects
•         Complete condition reports as needed

Work with Director in reviewing, updating, and drafting policies and procedures related to collections management, including updating the Collections Management Policy.

Performs other collection duties as assigned.

Qualifications and Experience:

Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in American history, museum studies, public history, library science, or related field; two or more years of experience in a museum environment, preferably a history museum, involving collection registrar work and/or collections management, as well as object handling.

Extensive knowledge of collections handling techniques, as well as AAM-recommended museum practices and ethical standards.
Proficiency using collection management software (Past Perfect) and knowledge of museum cataloging standards and registration techniques.

Considerable knowledge of collections management, care, documentation, and classifications; good knowledge of computer database systems; considerable knowledge of collections conservation; working knowledge of environmental control, pest management, security, and risk management; working knowledge of intellectual property and rights and reproductions; considerable research skills; working knowledge of principles and practices of office management.

Ability to plan, organize, and implement complex filing and research systems; ability to multi-task and problem solve; ability to work in a team-oriented environment; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with volunteers, assistants, supervisor, other agencies, and the public.

Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, including the ability to present information in a variety of formats, as well as demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
Must have a valid state driver’s license and requires physical activity; handling of objects that can weigh up to 50 pounds (or greater mass that require mechanical assistance). Standing or walking may occur up to 75% of time.

Send resume, cover letter and references to:
Roslyn Shelton, Assistant Director
Denton County Office of History and Culture
110 West Hickory Street
Denton, TX  76201
Or [log in to unmask]

No phone calls please.