From:
Rachel Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2018 10:54:19 -0400
Hello,

To loan or not to loan - that is not the question I have this morning. I have been in a few conferences with other museum professionals that have advised not to receive loans (for various reasons, mainly, because of the legality and the paper work involved).

I have taken this advice to heart. I have stated in one of my Board Meetings that our museum will not receive loans - the Board voted and agreed not to receive items on loans (January 2018).

Unfortunately, it has come to my attention, that last week, two of our volunteers have received numerous items on loan for a display. I have no record of these items - I have yet to see these items - nor have I the proper forms that need to be filled out to receive loans (because I never wrote up a form because we are not taking in loans). I know that is extremely bad/wrong. However, I do not know what this called - so the question I am asking is has what these volunteers have done is illegal? Is this the 'abandon property/unclaimed loans' part that I need to worry about? How do I fix this? What are the proper procedures I need to follow to fix this? Or better yet, can I fix this?

Thank you so much.

Rachel Whitney,
Museum Director,
Bristow Historical Museum